Will you be deported if you get fired?

On Behalf of | Jan 2, 2023 | Immigration Law |

Losing your job is always a problem from a financial perspective, and most people will work quickly to try to find another job. They may have some savings, though, and they have time to search around for something that fits.

But if you’re an immigrant who has come to the United States on an H1-B visa, you know that that visa was connected to your employment. Employers are able to sponsor potential immigrants to come to the United States to take a specific job. This is just one way that the U.S. government tries to ensure that the best talent from all over the world can be drawn into the American economic system.

However, if your visa is connected to your employment and you lose your job, does that mean you’re now in violation of that visa? Are you going to be deported just because you got fired, or perhaps even because you decided to quit?

You have 60 days

The bad news is that your visa is connected to your employment and will not be valid if you are not employed. This is no different than if you came to the United States on a student visa and then were expelled from college.

The good news is that the government does give you a 60-day grace period. You do not have to leave the U.S. immediately, but you can take roughly two months to search for another job. This can keep you in the proper status so that you won’t be deported. But if you don’t find other employment, then you may be asked to leave the country or deported if it’s found that you have stayed in violation of the visa.

A complicated situation like this requires that you know about all of your legal options.



Share This